Saturday, October 14, 2017

The Desires of my Heart

My sister-in-law, sister-in-Christ once pointed out to me what was a different take on Psalm 37:4.  In that seemingly minutely insignificant moment of conversation that she likely does not even remember, she began a trail of realizations within me that would echo over the years.  I don't remember the circumstances, only the gist.
Trust in the Lord and do good; Dwell in the land and feed on His faithfulness.  Delight yourself also in the Lord and He shall give you the desires of your heart.  Psalm 34:3-4
Quite familiar with this scripture in a Christian-store plaque sort of way, I had to take a second look with her direction.  She said if you delight yourself in Him, feed on Him, and trust in Him, you are inviting Him in and allowing Him to fully guide you.  You are allowing Him access to your very heart. As a result of aligning yourself with Him, he places desires in your heart that he intends later to fulfill.  And by placing His desire in your heart, He leads you on His path.
Oh my.  He has borne this out again and again in the years that have followed.  If there is any wisdom this fellow struggler has to share, it is this.  In the words of a teacher, make Jesus your unit study.  Let Him not just occupy your Sunday plan; but inhale Him daily, throughout your day, and exhale His mercies to others. He is sustenance, and holding Him close means that whatever you encounter in this varied existence, He is always always there with you, yoking with you - you'll bear nothing alone.
I stand now in territory unknown, as happens to a soul repeatedly throughout life.  But He is here.  He has always, since I allowed Him to be, been here.  The email address I chose those many years ago, before my last  two children were born, shares this then-realization: that I am never alone - never never never alone.  It was chosen to reflect Psalm 139.  And as I follow the advice of Psalm 34, I nurture His home in my heart, and He drops these lovely crumbs, His desires, for me to pick up, one after the other, leading me gently toward Himself.  Oh, what a life He has given me in the midst of a chaotic world.  My heart is full and so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment